With the largest information warehouse on Australian farmers
The term “Internet of Things” has gained widespread attention in recent years, and if there’s any sector that significantly rationalises the reason behind this global popularity, it should be the agriculture industry. Internet of Things (IoT) has enabled famers and agriculture marketers to surmount a variety of challenges they face in the industry including water availability, inefficient farming techniques, decreasing availability of land, a shortage of or inaccurate marketing data, poor information, lack of awareness on cutting edge agriculture technologies and much more. By using the IoT for agriculture, farmers are able to improve the quality, quantity, cost-effectiveness and sustainability of agricultural production while supporting the constantly growing population of the world. Providing numerous opportunities to make agriculture and agribusiness as efficient and productive as possible, IoT is sure to push the future of agriculture to the next level. Thriving on this robust platform that is Internet of Things, smart farming applications are rapidly becoming commonplace amidst farmers with the promise to deliver real-time visibility into their agricultural operation … Hers’ s some more on how IoT for agriculture is helping smart farming prosper.
In the simplest term, smart farming is an integrative approach to combat the challenges of modern agriculture including climate change and food security through efficient application of Internet of Things and Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) into agriculture.
Smart farming typically focused on three objectives:
- Achieve a greater level of sustainability in agriculture while increasing overall agricultural productivity in order to support the food supply needs of the rapidly growing population.
- Building resilience in agriculture for easy adaptation to climate change and enhanced food security.
- Reduce Green House Gas emissions from crop production and livestock while improving agricultural output.
Know that you know exactly what smart faming is all about, here’s a quick glance at why every farmer should adopt smart farming;
- Allows farmers to remotely monitor machines, equipment, crops, and livestock.
- Using IoT technology, farmers can predict crop yield based on predictive analytics around crop and livestock to make farming more sustainable.
- It enables farmers to monitor the health of crops & livestock in real-time along with storage conditions, energy consumption levels and crop and livestock management.
- Farmers can easily extract useful information from Big Data and analyse it to maximise operational efficiency.
- Can Address the most significant challenges in farming and food production such as food security, misdistribution, impacts of climate change on agriculture, Green House Gas emissions etc
Smart farming technology is taking over the agriculture sector. With advanced yet powerful IoT applications in the market, smart farming has a great potential to make agriculture more productive and sustainable based on a resource-efficient and strategic approach. That said, it comes as no surprise that the implementation of Internet of Things in agriculture is in high gear throughout the world with a variety of farmers across the globe transforming their business. Smart farming provides farmers with better decision-making ability and increased value to their farming business in terms of crop production and livestock management. There are three interconnected technology areas that smart farming is directly related to;
Management Information Systems:
These are basically computerised databases of data stored in an organised way for farmers to refer and analyse in order to streamline their farm operations and functions.
Also known as satellite farming or site-specific crop management (SSCM), precision agriculture is a farm management approach that uses information technology to ensure efficient and maximum crop production. The key objective of implementing this technology based approach is to improve the overall profitability, sustainability and protection of the environment. Precision agriculture uses specialised equipment, IT software and services to enable farmers to fetch real-time data about the conditions of crops, soil and air along with other relevant information such as availability of equipment, labour costs and local weather conditions.
Agricultural robotics and automation
This is the application of robotics, automatic control and artificial intelligence techniques at varied levels of farming to promote safe and economical production outputs. To conclude, smart farming has enabled farmers to leverage modern agriculture and communication technologies to manage their farms and take necessary and immediate measures to make their business more productive and sustainable.Smart farming technology can help
- increase crop yields
- reduced water consumption
- streamlining farming processes
- improve the bottom line
Smart farming provides great benefits in terms of environmental safety through better optimisation of farming systems and efficient use of water.
Here are a few ways the comprehensive KG2 platform can help;
- Easy collection and management of data from your IoT devices, sensors and connected systems to monitor varied aspects of farming such as humidity levels, weather conditions, crop growth characteristics, etc.
- Precise insights and recommendations enable farmers to visualise data to monitor futures farms in real-time while making informed decisions.
- Provision of customisable end-user dashboards to share farming and monitoring results.
- Seamless integration with third-party analytics systems and solutions for advanced crop and livestock analytics and machine/equipment learning.
- Leverage effective IoT applications to boost operational efficiency and agriculture marketing results.
- Comprehensive big data insights, analytics and recommendations aid in better decision-making.
At KG2, we are building a big data insights portal that helps farmers and industry stakeholders achieve supply chain efficiencies.
To have us build a powerful IOT solution for your farming business, connect with us today!